Dr. Varma is a senior consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon based in South India. He specializes in the surgical treatment of diseases of the organs in the chest (heart, lungs, major airways, major blood vessels, esophagus (food pipe), thymus gland and the mediastinum. He has a post qualification experience of 28+ years in the field of heart and lung surgery and 37+ years in the field of medicine.
Dr. Varma earned his basic medical qualification (MBBS), postgraduate qualification in General Surgery (MS) and super specialty qualification in Cardiothoracic Surgery (MCh) from the Christian Medical College, Vellore, India. He then went on to qualify for the Diplomate of the National Board (in Cardiothoracic Surgery) from the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India. He also went on to earn the FRCS from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
He enhanced his surgical skills further with stints in cardiothoracic surgical centers in Australia and England before returning to India. After his return he established a cardiothoracic surgical practice and his team performs 400 – 450 major procedures every year including:
- CABG (Coronary Bypass Graft Surgery – off pump & on pump, pedicled BIMA, LIMA & RIMA Y, LIMA RIMA LRA total arterial revascularisation procedures)
- Heart valve repairs and replacements.
- Correction of congenital heart defects (PDA, ASD, VSD, Coarctation of the Aorta, Tetralogy of Fallot, Tricuspid Atresia, Atrio Ventricular Canal Defects, TGA, and combined lesions)
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (for acute reversible heart and lung failure, Veno Venous and Veno Arterial)
- Surgery for Lung and Pleural Diseases (Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery, Pneumonectomy, Lobectomy, Segmentectomy, Decortication etc)
- Surgery for Mediastinal Tumors.
- Surgery for diseases of the great vessels (Aortic Aneurysms, Aorto Bifemoral Bypass, Femoro Popliteal Bypass), Renal cell carcinoma with IVC extension, etc.
Dr. Varma – Experience
Dr. Varma has over 28 years of post qualification experience in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. He has contributed to publications in national and international journals, has been an invited speaker at scientific conferences, has chaired sessions, delivered oration lectures, and participated in professional meetings related to his field. He has been a speaker/panelist at many CME programs for Cardiothoracic Surgical Trainees, General Surgery Trainees and GPs.
Dr. Varma was a faculty member for a training program in Cardiothoracic Surgery at K.G. Hospital, Coimbatore (6-year, post-MBBS, direct DNB CTVS training under the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi). He has also been an examiner and question paper setter for the National Board of Examinations New Delhi, and the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India.
He was incharge of the annual postgraduate CME in Cardiothoracic Surgery at GKNM Hospital, Coimbatore. He headed the Clinical Audit Committee at KG Hospital, Coimbatore. He has previously headed the Hospital Infection Control Committee and the Operation Theatre Committee while at KG Hospital. He was actively involved in the initial NABH certification and subsequent re-certification of KG hospital as per the requirements of the Quality Council of India. He received a “doctor of excellence” award from KG Hospital and a “lifetime achievement” award from the Indian Medical Association and Cardiological Society of India (Coimbatore Chapter).